A celebrated piece of early Marshall History, the Governor’s Mansion was built in 1839 to be the residence of the state’s chief executive in anticipation of Marshall becoming the capital of Michigan. The Greek Revival dwelling never housed a governor, but the man who built it did serve as Michigan’s third governor. The original signature Doric columns were constructed in Detroit and hauled by oxcart to Marshall. Since 1966 the house has been owned and restored by the Mary Marshall Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and in the Historic American Buildings Survey.
The Museum is open on Sundays, beginning June 3, 2018, from 1 pm to 5 pm. The museum closes after Labor Day.