Chief Justice John Marshall
Marshall was founded in 1830 by Sydney Ketchum and his brother George Ketchum. They named their town after Chief Justice John Marshall, who served as the fourth Chief Justice of the United States from 1801 to 1835. Of the more than 20 communities named for him, this Marshall is the only town that was named for him before his death.
Marshall remains the longest-serving chief justice and fourth-longest serving justice in Supreme Court history. Because of his popularity at the time, he is widely regarded as one of the most influential justices to ever sit on the Supreme Court. Marshall helped implement the principle of separation of powers and cement the position of the American judiciary as an independent and co-equal branch of government.
Photo: Chief Justice John Marshall